Job Title: Business Development Officer
Contract Term:Dependent on start date
Duration: 1 year contract
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Salary Range: $35,000.00 /year
Reports to:SUN Co-operative Board of Directors and Green Economy North Program Manager
The Business Development Officer will work jointly with SUN Co-operative and Green Economy North.
Programs of reThink Green include Green Economy North, the annual Earth Festival, and the Forge. reThink Green is also affiliated with Clean Air Sudbury.
SUN Co-operative is a non-profit co-operative organization with a mission to generate surpluses from renewable energy projects, which will be dedicated to supporting the community work of Sudbury environmental not-for-profit organizations. SUN Co-operative is currently developing a 500 kW ground-mount solar project is Greater Sudbury, and plans to develop and sell community solar bonds to finance as much of the project construction costs as possible. Once constructed, SUN Co-operative would receive a portion of the profits for a period of twenty years to cover its operating costs as well as fulfill its mission.
Green Economy North is Sudbury’s membership-based sustainable business program. Our members have access to a wide variety of support, from technical workshops to one-on-one coaching. Achievements are celebrated by the community through media coverage, special publications, and events.
Marketing and Sales – SUN Co-operative (40%)
- With support from board members and legal expertise, assist with development of the project’s bond offering statement and business plan
- With support from project manager, develop and implement of a marketing and sales plan for the community bonds, including but not limited to tactics such as: social media, event organization and attendance, media relations, online and traditional advertising
- The pursuit of impact investing opportunities for large intuitions
Administration – SUN Co-operative (10%)
- Administration of documents and customer service related to the sale of community bonds.
- Track and report sales and progress towards goals.
- Track and report on the project budget.
- Track and report hours spent on each aspect of the project.
Business Development – Green Economy North (50%)
- Qualify leads from various sales and marketing channel as opportunities
- Contact potential clients through cold calls, emails, marketing activities and networks.
- Set up meetings or calls with prospective clients and present our company to potential clients
- Identify client needs and suggest appropriate products/services
- Work with internal team to fulfill customer needs
- Build long-term trusting relationships with clients
- Proactively seek new business opportunities in the market
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary education in business administration, marketing, communications or related fields.
- Experience in sales and/or fundraising
- Understanding of the various marketing platforms, including traditional media and social media
- Experience designing and delivering outreach materials and initiatives.
- Work or volunteer experience in the not-for-profit and/or environmental sector(s) considered an asset.
- French-English bilingualism is a significant asset.
KEY SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
1) Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills (oral and written); knowledge of effective communication tools and strategies, the media and the general public; creativity to keep communications fresh and exciting.
2) Project Management Skills:Conscientious and detail-oriented; ability to plan, strategize, set goals, develop work plans, work efficiently and track progress; strong ability to work independently; ability to multi-task and assist with multiple projects and initiatives; initiative to explore new ideas and create new opportunities; ability to make decisions and resolve problems.
3) Interpersonal Skills: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of clients to meet or exceed their expectations. Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions.
4) Adaptability:Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and adapt to a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency. Ability to learn new technologies and master new skills.
4) Environmental Knowledge: Current knowledge of key environmental issues, including climate change. Continued interest in learning and expanding knowledge of the Greater Sudbury environmental community.
This position is partially funded by Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation. Candidates must:
- Be university and college graduates who have received their diploma within the last three years from an accredited college or university.
- Be seeking first-time employment in their field of study.
- Have not previously participated in the NOHFC internship program.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Interviews will continue until the position is filled. While we thank all applicants, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.